In the run-down husk of the Hao Industrial Complex at Earth-Moon L4, servers whir to life as the Arachnos tournament began. High security dummy corps are staged to test the minds of dozens of hackers from across the colonies. The Arachnos title was up for grabs every 18 months, and the victor was deemed the king of the Web.
From maintenance shaft number four, Mika Huginn threaded the delicate wires of her portable RiG-18 into the trunk line of the servers. This physically circumvented half the firewalls, and would be giving her the best possible connection to the dummy corps of the games. While this tactic was legal, it was thought to be beneath most hackers, but Mika needed the title if she would ever see her brother again.
My goal for this blog is to organize my thoughts, opinions and knowledge about writing into an easy to reference guide.
Friday, April 10, 2015
SFA: Cyberpunk
While I'm not as experienced with cyberpunk as I am sci-fi and fantasy, I am aware of the growing genre. It's plots seem to center on blurring the lines between reality and virtual reality. Though the "reality" portion is often set in grungy, urban distopias, this is not as necessary, in my opinion, to the genre as is the advanced computing technology. The cult classic Bladerunner has been called quintessential to the genre, as is the table-top RPG Shadowrun. I feel the recent anime Sword Art Online qualifies.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment